How to Help Change the World
The world today is definitely not a paradise. Hunger, abuse, poverty, pollution, and violence are all too common. Granted, the world never has been, and probably never will be perfect, but that means there's lots of room for improvement! You can help to create a better world for the future. And it's not as hard as you think.
Change is good - it is progress. Below are how to implement positive change.
Volunteer or donate to charity.It's not just about working in a soup kitchen or visiting the old folks' home. Today anyone can volunteer to do anything! Contact the local volunteer organisations in your area and discover a cause that you feel passionate about. Start a petition, donate money, support a charity, fundraise, or be an advocate.
- Don't donate to the first charity you come across. There are huge differences in efficiency. If you want to make sure that your money is used to save as many lives as possible, do check out givewell.org. Picking one of their most recommended charities is quick and easy, but you can also read up on why they chose those if you're interested. Other possible sites are BBB Start With Trust or Charity Navigator.
- Buy a wristband. They are all the rage in Hollywood, with lots of celebrities sporting the most recent fashion accessory—a charity wristband. Not only do they look cool, they're cheap and a great way to do your bit for your favorite cause.
- If you want to help the developing world, the best charities are ones which help people to help themselves. These do the most good by enabling communities to strengthen and improve themselves. Examples of charities that do work like this are Heifer International, Kiva, or Free the Children. Education charities, like One Laptop Per Child, are also good.
Shop carefully.Businesses are some of the most important and influential organizations in the world today. They are involved with, or in some way influence, almost any issue you can think of and can sometimes be even more influential than governments in those issues. Luckily, you have opportunities every day to encourage businesses to do the right thing. Every time you buy something, you are giving your approval for whatever process was involved in its production. The next time you're in the grocery store, take an extra look at the labels.
- Take a close look at your options. Ask yourself questions: "Do I want to support this type of business?" "Are the farmers or factory workers that made this treated well?" "Is this product traded fairly?" "Is it healthy?" "Is it good for the environment?" "Does the sale of this product help support an oppressive political regime?"
Take part in blood donations.Many countries (especially Australia, Britain, Canada, and the United States) frequently experience record lows of blood stores and desperately need more people to donate. It only takes about half an hour and doesn't hurt (much!). Visit or for more information.
Become an advocate.Speak up about injustices in the world and get your friends involved, too. Organize fundraisers to help raise money for your chosen charity or cause. If you can't raise money, add your voice to those already campaigning to end poverty, war, injustice, sexism, racism, or corruption in the world. Activism can start at any age. Craig Kielburger was twelve years old when he became an activist for child labour rights. He went on, with his brother, to start Free the Children and Me to We.
Become an organ donor.You won't need your organs when you are dead, so why not give them to someone who can use them? Save the lives of up to eight people by placing yourself on the organ donors' register in your country. Talk about the decision with your family and let them know your wishes.
Helping Protect and Preserve Your Planet
Recycle.It's not something only hippies do! Anyone can recycle, and these days just about anything can be recycled—from newspapers and plastic, to computers and old mobile (cell) phones. Encourage your school or workplace to recycle and to use recycled products.
Stop driving everywhere!You probably already know that vehicle emissions are bad for the planet. What you may not know is how you can reduce your emissions: Start walking to nearby places. Use public transportation whenever possible. You can also do things like riding a bike to work instead of taking a car. If you need to use a car, consider purchasing one which uses a mix of electricity (a renewable energy source) and gas or only electricity.
Reduce your impact on the planet.Reduce your harmful impact on the planet by reusing items and materials when you can, using green products, buying local food and items (supporting your local economy), and conserving resources such as water. This will help protect the planet and provide a healthy environment for all people who will live on after us.
- Help others to do the same by educating them about how they can reduce their impact on the planet. Remember: don't be preachy or self-righteous. You're doing this to help the planet, not so you can be smarter or better than your neighbour.
Minimize your water usage.Did you know that there will probably be a major water crisis in our lifetimes? The problem is that we consume and use water faster than we can clean old and new water. Help alleviate this problem by taking shorter showers, being careful when washing dishes, not leaving the water running when you brush your teeth, and generally paying attention to how you use water.
- Another thing to avoid is watering your lawn in the summer. Collect and use gray water for this purpose, as using clean drinking water to water grass is very wasteful.
Support animal welfare.All life should be appreciated if humanity is to step forward in our pursuit for a better society. Spend time supporting animal rights, volunteer at your local shelter, or donate to an organization for animal welfare. Keep in mind that most animal suffering happens to farm animals, not pets. Most people forget this, since they can't see the animals they eat. Consider going vegetarian - it's healthier, helps the environment, reduces animal suffering and might actually be cheaper! If you can't imagine being vegetarian, eating less meat also works. Remember, it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing decision.
- However, do your research before donating to organizations such as the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS for short), PETA, or other big-name corporations; sometimes a large percentage of the money will not go to the animals. A great site for comparing charities is
- Don't buy animal food for donations. Donating your money directly to the shelter is much better, because the shelter can get food cheaper in bulk and it's hard to plan for donated goods. Fostering an animal for a short period of time is another great way to show your support of animals, and it costs little to no money to do!
Helping the People In Your Life
Pay it forward.Seen the movie? Well, just like Haley Joel Osment, you can help others by "paying it forward." Simply do something nice for 3 people (or, preferably, more and with no limit) without being asked, and in return, tell them to do the same to 3 more people. And so on and so on. Imagine if everyone followed through with this and what kind of world it would be!
Don’t intentionally hurt others.Imagine a society where every single person did not look to harm another individual. You wouldn't have to lock your doors at night and self-defense would be a thing of the past. You may think one person cannot make a difference. The whole world is just seven billion individuals. Just think, you may inspire someone to be like you and start a chain reaction!
Laugh and smile!Many believe that laughter is the best medicine you can have. Not only that, but people who are happy are often more healthy and are lots more fun to be around! Sharing a smile and a laugh with someone is easy, completely free, and may just make someone's day! When your happiness is contributing to the happiness and well-being of other people and the planet, that's called sustainable happiness!
QuestionI am interested in helping the wildlife and the rest of the world. Where do I start?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFind an organization in your area that is dedicated to causes that interest you and sign up to volunteer.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I make sure that I cause a good chain reaction?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerOne person can only do so much. For a chain reaction, you must inspire people who go on to inspire others, etc. You'll have to live so that people see that you are serious about your cause.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I help change the world if I am a young teen?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUse your creativity! You can make crafts, food, drink, anything you want! Sell these things and donate the proceeds to charity. Also, raise awareness. I shaved my head to raise awareness for children with cancer, and I got ,500 dollars! Inspire people to do good things for the world. Spread goodness.Thanks!
QuestionHow old do you have to be to donate blood?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUsually 16 but it can depend on your location and the organization running the drive.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I change the huge problems with the world?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerHave a generosity of spirit, have an open heart and ask yourself, "do I have courage?" Identify a cause where you have a personal interest. Articulate the problem. Engage the "change makers" or encourage those who also want to make a change. Make a plan and execute.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I start the process of donating my organs?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWhen you get a driver's license or learner's permit, the person issuing it to you at the DMV will ask if you want to be an organ donor. Your new license or permit will be marked with a small heart indicating that you're a donor. If you're not old enough to drive, you might consider getting a state ID. The same process should apply.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I make sure an online charity can be trusted?Top AnswererUse rating websites like Charity Navigator. You can also search for the charity's name with the keyword "controversy" or "boycott." For example, searching "PETA controversy" will lead you to stories about PETA killing animals and exploiting women. Also look up if the supposed beneficiaries actually like the charity. (Many autistic people say Autism Speaks causes harm.) A little poking around will tell you if and why people are speaking out against the group. If you can't find much talk (good or bad), then the group is a scam, or too small to be very influential, so try a bigger charity. Your money will be spent best by a high-rated charity that is recommended by its community.Thanks!
QuestionI am 10 years old. Is there anything that I can do to help the world, since I am too young to volunteer?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMake your wish to contribute known to your parents, guardian, teachers, or religious leadership, as chances are greater than not they can help figure out opportunities where you can volunteer your time without age limits. Also, make it a family/friends event, do something together to maximize the help!Thanks!
QuestionHow old do I have to be to help animals?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can help animals at any age. You can volunteer at a nearby nature center, donate to an animal charity, or simply just pick up pollution in animal habitats. The options are almost endless.Thanks!
QuestionHow will all of this help?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerBy maximizing the net positive in the world. Doing these things may not end world hunger or cure disease in and of themselves, but if even a percentage of the world did a fraction of these things, the entire world community will be better off, guaranteed.Thanks!
I have seen that many people beg for money but if I give some money some people misuse that money so I don't know How do I help in any way. What else can I do?
How did all the greats manage to do so much. What path should we take to become like them.
How old do I have to be to hold a fundraiser for a charity in the UK?
How do I help change the world if I am still a teen?
How to stop teen violence?
If you want to help change the world, look into volunteer opportunities in your area. Search online to find something that interests you where you feel you'd be making a difference. You can also take part in blood donations or sign up to become an organ donor, which can save people's lives. If you want to change your environmental impact, start recycling and encourage your workplace or apartment complex to do it too. You could also take public transportation or ride a bike, instead of driving.
- You don’t just give up. You don’t just let things happen. You make a stand! You say no! You have the guts to do what’s right, even when everyone else just runs away.
- Never be cruel and never be cowardly and if you are always make amends.
- The only way anyone can live in peace is if they’re prepared to forgive.
- Anyone can change the world; all it takes is a little time, effort and dedication!
- Changing the world will change you.
- The Internet is a great place to find information about charities and causes to sponsor/support.
- Even if you are broke, there are lots of ways you can help to make the world a better place.
- Find exciting and fun ways to change the world. Volunteering is not only a great way to help those less fortunate; you might also make new friends!
- Advertise your cause by using your talents.
- Spread the word. Get your friends involved. The more the better!
- Good charities to give to include Heifer International, the Sierra Club, Doctors Without Borders, The Salvation Army, and Kiva.
- You don't have to change the world for everyone, you can change the world for a couple of people and still leave a positive impact.
- Help yourself so you can help others so much more to say but that's a good start.
- Treat others like you want to be treated, if you are horrible to someone, think, would I like them saying that to me.
- Please be kind
- Never impose your values or opinions on anyone until they fully understand them. If their understanding is complete, then they will be inclined anyway.
In other languages:
Français: , Italiano: , Español: , Português: , Deutsch: , 中文: , Nederlands: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia:
Video: Change the World ft. Taylor Dane (The Help Trailer Song)
Mediterranean Zucchini Boats with Kefir-Mint Topping
1950s Mens Hairstyles
The Best Chick Flicks: Then andNow
Spotify’s Most Streamed Music of 2014: It’s a Pretty SurprisingList
Red Carpet RE
Leighton Meester is the new face of Herbal Essences
Why Kim K’s Hair Looks So Good More Beauty News
The Best Time To Indulge
Scientists Detect Early Sign of Pancreatic Cancer
Novel Diabetes Drug Awaits FDA Decision
How to Prevent Chest Acne
How to Hide or Cover Stretch Marks on Your Chest