How to Cancel a Planet Fitness Membership
Understanding Your Planet Fitness Contract
Find the contract you signed with Planet Fitness.Although you may have signed up with a "no contract" or "no sign-up fee" promotion, you still signed an agreement that designates how you can cancel and what situations may allow you to waive your cancellation fees.
Read your contract.Your contract lays out the exact terms and conditions, and you should be informed. You should also note if you have an annual or monthly contract.
- Regardless of whether you pay annually or monthly, you likely signed a 1-year contract.
- Also, check to see when your contract is up. It might be easier to wait a month or two until your contract is up to cancel if you only have a couple of months left on your contract. Cancellation fees can be as much as 5 or 6 months of regular payments.
Pay attention to the billing cycle.Usually, for a monthly contract, you must cancel before the 10th of the month, as you are generally billed on the 17th, and the company needs time to process your request. For an annual contract, you must cancel before the 25th of the month prior to when you are billed. In other words, if you usually pay your annual bill in March, you need to cancel on or before February 25.
- Think of a fitness contract like a leasing contract. Having to give 30 days notice and fees for early cancellation are common with gyms. In fact, if you don't cancel your membership correctly, you may have to pay your contract out in total.
Get your gym fees waived.If you can give written proof that you are injured or that you must move out of range of a Planet Fitness, then you may be able to have the fees waived.
- If you have an injury, ask your doctor's office to write a note confirming that you will be unable to use the gym facilities.Ask him or her to give a specific amount of time that you will be unable to use the gym.
- If you are moving to a new place, it must be farther than 25 miles (40 km) away from any Planet Fitness location. Planet Fitness aims to transfer memberships whenever possible. Ask your employer to write a relocation letter, and make sure to map out the distance before specifying where you will be moving. That is, establish that you will have no Planet Fitness gyms within 25 miles (40 km) of your new address. You can print off maps with your new location and the closest Planet Fitness locations marked to help your case.
- If neither of these situations applies to you, you will be required to pay the cancellation fee, though you can plead your case if other situations inhibit your ability to go to the gym. Be sure to have written proof of your situation, as they will not just take your word for it.
Cancelling the Contract in Person
Write down the information you'll need.You will need your membership identification number. You will also likely need some personal information, such as your address, your social security number, your driver's license number, and your date of birth.
Write a one-page document asking to cancel your membership.Make sure it is in accordance with the contract's specifications. Mention in your letter that you want your cancellation fee waived if you're eligible, as well as the reason why. Also note what documentation you are including with the letter. Include all your personal information; you only need to include the last four digits of your social security number and your driver's license number. Sign it.
- Planet Fitness requires a written cancellation.
- Include your back-up documentation to request your cancellation fee be waived. Clearly indicate what each piece of documentation is at the top of the page.
Check the hours for your location's Membership Services department.Call the department, and request a meeting to cancel your membership.
Tell them you want to cancel your membership.Meet with a representative, and give them the written documentation.
Ask for the cancellation in writing.Don't forget to request a signature from an employee. You want proof that you cancelled your membership, as you may need it later.
Arrange to cancel any future monthly payments.You may need to pay another month, but make sure that payment is cancelled after that. Settle up any cancellation fees so you can be sure your membership is cancelled.
Ask for the name and number of an appropriate contact person.If you run into trouble after canceling -- if, for example, you find that you are being charged improper fees -- you may need to contact a particular person to address the issue.
Monitor your credit card or bank statements.If monthly or annual charges show up that shouldn't be there, you need to contact the gym.
Call Membership Services if any extra charges were taken out.Act immediately to avoid losing money.
Visit in person.If the gym is still insisting you pay, show them the cancellation in writing to prove that you have done so.
Cancelling by Certified Letter
Alternatively, send a certified letter.Because certified letters can be tracked, you can ensure that the gym received the letter.
- To send a certified letter, buy the postage for certified mail at the post office or online.Certified mail is only applicable to priority or first-class mail.
- Choose electronic or physical delivery of the signature. Essentially, you are proving that someone at Planet Fitness accepted and signed for the letter. You will get there actual signature back if you choose the physical signature, or you will be emailed a copy of their electronic signature if you choose the other option. Physical may be better for this situation because it looks more official.
Gather your letter together.Don't forget to include a letter requesting the cancellation of membership, all of your documentation, your personal information, and your justification for waiving your fees, if applicable. Request that they send a notice of cancellation in writing, as well as provide a follow-up phone call to you to confirm your membership is cancelled.
Take the letter to the post office.Give it to an employee. Certified mail has to be given to an employee to receive a return signature.
Call the gym if you do not receive notice your membership was cancelled.If you don't receive notification that your membership was cancelled within a week and a half, call and talk to an employee. You may need to visit in person if you cannot get it cancelled through a letter.
Check your accounts.Make sure you do not have any monthly or annual charges beyond what you've agreed to pay. If you do, you need to visit Planet Fitness and show them the proof of cancellation.
QuestionHow can I transfer from my home gym to another location?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you have a MYiClubOnline.com account set up, there is a section there under My Account for you to transfer your membership to another Planet Fitness location.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I cancel my husband's membership to Planet Fitness if he's dead?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou would cancel the same way, in person with a letter stating the member is deceased. If the contract has not been fulfilled, fees will only be waived if a copy of the Death Certificate is presented. If the contract has been fulfilled, and the deceased was on a month-to-month membership, then you shouldn't have to worry about cancellation fees.Thanks!
QuestionIf I can cancel now, can I get my fee back?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerPlanet Fitness refers to the fee as an "Annual Rate Guarantee" fee. The Annual Rate Guarantee Fee is fully earned when received and is non-refundable.Thanks!
QuestionWhat termination fee will I have to pay?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you are under a one year contract and want to cancel before the end of the year, it will be to cancel.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I cancel a membership that is not under my name, but is being paid through my bank account?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFirst, ask the person whom the membership belongs to to cancel it themselves. If that doesn't work, go to your bank and ask about blocking charges from Planet Fitness.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I find out the expiration date of my contract at Planet Fitness?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerGo online to your account. It has your expiration date and billing information listed. If you cannot find it online, you can ask anyone that works at Planet Fitness, and they should be able to pull up this information for you.Thanks!
QuestionWhat should I do if I am moving to another country, province, or state and want to cancel my contract?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerCall your fitness place and tell them why you want to cancel. The fitness place should understand,and they should let you cancel.Thanks!
QuestionThe card attached to the membership is not that of the member. How can I stop payment.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you are the financial cosigner and your name is on the billing information, you may cancel. If there is a buy out fee, you will be responsible to pay it as stated in the agreement.Thanks!
QuestionHow will the cancellation affect my credit?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe cancellation shouldn’t affect your credit as long as you pay the charges/fees you agreed to in your membership contract.Thanks!
QuestionCan I cancel my Planet Fitness membership online?OnedurrCommunity AnswerYou can only cancel by sending a letter via certified mail or in person. There are several online services for sending the certified mail cancellation.Thanks!
What can I do to cancel my Planet Fitness membership if they refused to sign a certified letter requesting cancellation?
I sent a cancellation letter via normal mail, and it has been returned twice. What am I doing wrong?
Why do you have to make termination of membership so difficult? I went into my gym that I joined and I can not put on record in any form to stop the membership in two months when it would end!
My membership is in Florida and I am now in MA how can I cancel the membership?
How do I submit a complaint?
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Always read the contract carefully before talking to a Planet Fitness representative. You should know your rights regarding the terms and conditions. Being an informed advocate will save you money and time during the cancellation process.
- Beware that many Planet Fitness locations have low ratings with the Better Business Bureau, partially because of their inflexibility with gym membership cancellations.
- If you don't follow the rules of your contract and quit paying, the gym can report you to credit monitoring companies, creating a black mark on your credit report.
Video: The cancellation process at #planetfitness
How to Have Faith in Jesus
How to Get a Wet Look Hairstyle for Men
The Perfect Headphones For Every Situation
How to Choose a Guinea Pig for Breeding
How to Drink More Milk Every Day
Alison Loehnis Opens Up About Her Ageless Style
How to Obey Distance Selling Regulations
7 Things That Happen to Your Body When You Stop Eating Sugar
How to Help a Dog Who Has Canine Epilepsy
Coping as an HIV Caregiver
A widening rift between Trump and his administration
Bloomsbury Market Devid Iron Wall Sculpture BBMT8591
7 Types Of Friends Every Woman Needs In Her Life
8 Ways To Keep Your Skin Firm As You Shed Pounds
Date: 01.12.2018, 18:51 / Views: 81483