How to Be Like Belle from Beauty and the Beast
Belle is unique among Disney princesses in that she wants to follow her dreams, and not just meet her perfect "Prince Charming." She is beautiful, but also sensible; she is not fooled by charming smiles or beastly appearances. She also cares deeply about her family and would do anything for them. Most notably, Belle has a passion for reading, and does not hide it. You can learn a lot from trying to be like Belle.
If you want to be like Belle, don’t be afraid to dress and act like yourself, even when others don’t appreciate your unique style. Belle also never judged people by appearances, so try to give everyone a chance by getting to know them before making assumptions about who they are. In addition to these things, always remember to support your friends and family with your time and energy, especially when they feel they’re alone and no one else cares about them.For tips on how to embrace the natural beauty of your birthmarks, scars, and freckles, read on!
Acting the Part
Be yourself and don't mold yourself into what others expect.Belle stands out from the other people in her town. She is expected to marry and become a dutiful wife. Belle wants other things, however, and she does not let society's expectations stop her. For example, in the live-action film, she continues to invent things, despite her town's lack of support.
- Dress how you want. Don't worry about what's cool or what others wear.
- Do what you want. Do you have a unique hobby? Go for it! Who cares if no one else does it.
Be kind and polite, but don't let others walk over you.Like other Disney princesses, Belle is kind and polite. At the same time, however, she has her limits, and knows when to say "no." For example, when the Beast yells at her to come to dinner, Belle does not hesitate to refuse his "invitation." She is kind, but not a push-over!
- Ask others how they are doing. Show interest in their lives and feelings. This is all part of being kind.
- Be polite. Belle says "Thank you! Thank you very much!" when gifted a book.
Support your family and stay connected to them.Family is very important to Belle. She is close to her father and continues to support him, even after the village people disdain him. She would do anything for her father—even take his place and become the Beast's prisoner! While you do not need to go to the extremes Belle did, you can do the following:
- Spend time with your family members.
- Encourage your family members, especially when they are following their dreams.
- Care for them. If they are sick, help them out or do some chores for them.
- Support them emotionally. Don't let your family members suffer alone. Ask them what's wrong and how you can help.
Take an interest in reading.Belle loves to read! Fairytales and classical literature are her favorites. IfKing ArthurorRomeo and Julietaren't your cup of tea, try other things. They don't even have to be fantasy or adventure! If you don't know what to read, ask others for recommendations. Belle loves trying new things to read.
- If reading is not your thing, consider taking up engineering. Belle was an inventor in the live-action film!
- Don't be afraid to get crafty. In theBeauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmasfilm, she handmade a book for the Beast!
Don't judge others for their appearances.Unlike most girls in the film, Belle is not interested in Gaston. She admits that he is handsome, but she also realizes that he is mean, boorish, and brainless. Belle also comes to accept the Beast for who he is. If you want to be more like Belle, remember the following:
- Give everyone a chance. Just because they are dressed in black, with lots of leather and spikes, does not mean that they are bad people.
- Don't make assumptions. Just because someone speaks with an accent or falters over their words does not mean that they don't understand what you are saying or that they are stupid.
- Don't be fooled by stereotypes. Even football players may have surprising hobbies, such as Anime or knitting. That preppy cheerleader may also be into video games.
- Don't judge people before you get to know them. Even if someone has lots of nasty rumors surrounding them, try to get to know them first, then make your own opinion about them.
Give back to your community.Belle is selfless, and even though the villagers aren't kind to her, she still gives back to them. For example, in the live-action film, Belle is seen giving a few coins to the beggar woman and teaching a young girl how to read. Here are a few ways you can give back to your community:
- Volunteer at soup kitchens or homeless shelters.
- See what community service opportunities your school has to offer.
- Visit your local community center and see if they have volunteer opportunities.
- Tutor your classmates in subjects you are good at.
- Stay safe. If you are going to do volunteer work anywhere outside your school, bring a friend or two with you.
Dressing the Part
Keep your style simple, but feminine.In the animated version of the film, Belle is introduced in a simple blue dress, white blouse, and white apron. As the film progresses, her wardrobe does become increasingly fancy, but she still keeps her hair and makeup simple. If you want to give a Belle-like feel to your wardrobe, try some of the following:
- For casual shoes, try black ballet flats or low black pumps.
- For dressier shoes, try gold or cream pumps, heels, or kitten heels.
- Pair white, collared, puffed sleeve blouses with blue skirts.
- For a country theme, try blue, summery dresses.
Wear sensible clothes that are easy to move in.In the live-action film, Belle wears boots (as opposed to dainty flats) that are perfect for doing chores on a farm. She is often seen tucking her skirt into the waistband to give her more freedom. A modern-day equivalent of this would be wearing loose-fitting pants that you can run around and climb in.
Follow Belle's color scheme.Belle wears a lot of cool colors throughout the film, such as blue and green. She also begins to wear warmer colors as she begins to fall in love with the Beast, including pink, during the "Something There" sequence. Her wardrobe ends with the grand finale of the golden ball gown. You can mimic Belle by following her color choices, such as:
- Blue and white when you want to be casual.
- Shades of dark green and light green.
- Shades of dark pink, light pink, and red (especially in winter!).
- Gold (or light yellow) when you want to dress up.
Don't be afraid to stand out.One of Belle's traits in the live-action film is that she did not wear boned corsets, which are different from bodies. While you don't have to go bra-less (the modern day equivalent), you shouldn't have to hold back when it comes to expressing yourself. Do you like to wear things that no one else does? What about things that went out of fashion?
- The animators in the 1991 film made Belle stand out from the rest of the villagers by making her the only one to wear blue.
Don't be afraid to dress up, when the occasion calls for it.In both films, Belle wears fairly simple clothing. She does dress up for the famous ballroom scene, and the difference is striking. If you want to be like Belle, and really wow your friends, keep your wardrobe simple until it's time to dress up for a special occasion.
- If you want to mimic Emma Watson's Belle, make sure that your formal attire is still easy to move around in.
Add someBeauty and the Beast-themed accessories.In both films, Belle wears few accessories, with the exception of her blue hair bow and ballroom jewelry. You don't have to wear blue bows and gold earrings, but you can wear other items that will remind other people of Belle. Here are some great options:
- Boho-chic necklaces with hand mirror, teapot, or teacup pendants.
- Charm bracelets with mini mirrors, roses, teacups, and books on them.
- A necklace with a book-shaped pendant—even better if it opens!
- Earrings or hair pins with roses on them, preferably red or gold.
- Hair accessories or necklaces with gold feathers or vines.
Looking the Part
Embrace your natural beauty.Belle is pretty on her own, but she also does not cover up her features with makeup. In the live-action film, Emma Watson insisted on not covering up her freckles.Of course, you can wear makeup if you want to, but don't feel forced into covering up your birthmarks, scars, and freckles. They are a part of you!
- Don't worry about perfection. One of Belle's traits in the animated film is that she has a strand of hair that always falls across her face.
Skip the makeup or keep it minimal or natural.In both films, Belle wears little makeup—and what makeup she does wear is natural. Try some tinted moisturizer, mascara, and tinted lip balm. If you want to wear makeup with the whole deal, go for a natural look. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Choose neutral browns, taupes, and creams for eyeshadow.
- Try some gold eyeshadow when you are dressing up.
- Skip the red lipstick. Try a rose-pink color or a neutral shade that matches your own.
- Try some bronzer for a sun-kissed look, or rosey blush when you are dressing up.
- Bring out your eyes with some black or brown eyeliner and black mascara.
Take care of your face.You don't need to apply loads of makeup in order to look beautiful. You will need to put in a little effort, however. Wash your face daily and follow-up with toner and moisturizer. Wipe off any makeup before going to bed, and consider going fresh-faced every once in a while to give your skin a break.
- If you have acne, get an acne cream from a dermatologist.
- Even people with oily skin should use moisturizer—they make special ones just for oily skin.
- You should also take care of your nails. You don't need to get manicures, but keep them clean and trimmed!
Take care of your hair.Even though she wears her hair simple, Belle still has beautiful hair. All that beauty doesn't come without some effort, however. Brush your hair daily, starting from the ends and working your way up. Wash it with a shampoo and conditioner suitable to your hair type, preferably something that is sulfate and paraben free.
- Get your hair trimmed every couple of months. This will help prevent split ends.
- Limit heat-styling, and always apply a heat protectant first when you do.
Keep it casual with a low ponytail.For an even more authentic work, try a flipped ponytail. Start by making a low ponytail and securing it with a hair tie. Stick your finger up through the middle of your hair, just above the hair tie. Hook it around your ponytail, and pull it down through the hole.
- Belle wears a blue ribbon to cover up the hair tie. You can wear one too, but you don't hair to.
Keep your hair simple when dressing up.For Belle, less is more. During the ballroom scene, her hair is pulled up into a simple half-up, half-down ponytail. You can embellish this with a pretty hair clip, or you can twist the ponytail into a bun. For a fuller bun, you could use a bun maker or bun doughnut:
- Slide the ponytail through the bun doughnut.
- Spread your hair evenly across the surface of the bun doughnut.
- Slip a hair tie over the bun doughnut, cinching the hair underneath.
- Tuck the ends of the ponytail under the bun doughnut.
- Secure the hair ends and the bun doughnut with bobby pins.
QuestionWhat would Belle have worn in the modern world as a 10 to 11-year-old child?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry a blue skirt and a white blouse, or a calf-length summer dress in sunshine yellow. You can also wear her color combinations: blue with white or sunshine yellow. Add an accessory that has a rose or a book on it!Thanks!
QuestionHow would I portray Belle from the live action film?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerBelle has always been free-spirited, determined, and independent, but she is even more so in the live action film. Stand up for what you believe in, and do not give up on something just because someone say's it's not cool, popular, or that you can't do it.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get the part of Belle in an audition?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerPrepare a song and a monologue that fit the style of the show and that show off your best qualities; do not choose something that don't suit you. Lastly, remember that the casting choice is up to the director(s) and whether you fit the image that they have in mind for the role.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I be beautiful if I am ugly?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe wonderful thing about Beauty and the Beast is that it focuses on finding beauty within the person. Try to be beautiful on the inside; eventually, that beauty will shine outward as well. Those who only accept you for your looks are not worth your time!Thanks!
QuestionWhat about makeup for kids under 14?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou do not have to wear makeup to be like Belle. Belle is an active, practical princess. She is too busy to spend time doing makeup. If you want to dress up for the occasion, try some lip gloss or tinted lip balm.Thanks!
QuestionWhat hair style should I do if I have short, bob-length hair?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry pulling your hair into a half-up, half-down ponytail, similar to Belle's ballroom scene. You can also leave your hair loose and free to reflect Belle's carefree personality and free spirit.Thanks!
QuestionWhich celebrity looks like Belle the most?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerEmma Watson did a wonderful job in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if someone is getting bullied?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you or someone you know is being bullied, you should tell an adult, like a parent or other relative, teacher, counselor, principal, etc. If the first adult you tell doesn't help, tell another, and so one. This is definitely what Belle would do.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if I look bad and I have acne?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWash and moisturize your face every day. Use facial soap designed for your skin type. Maybe try a face mask to clear your pores. And don't say you look "bad." Look in the mirror and focus on your best qualities. Don't dwell on the negative.Thanks!
QuestionI am a girl and I have short hair. I love Belle, and I want to live like her. Is it possible to do so with short locks?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerOf course it is! Belle is known for her love of reading, and adventure, as well as qualities such as selflessness, patience, kindness, self-confidence, and compassion. As long as you are kind to others (but still strong and independent!) you can be like Belle.Thanks!
- Acting like Belle is more important than looking like her. Make sure you remember this!
- Just be yourself! Belle is very down to earth and genuine, so don't be fake.
- Take a look at theBeauty and the BeastBroadway musical; it follows the original animated film closely, but with more depth.
- Give back to your community and try some volunteering. This is something Belle would definitely do!
- Don't change yourself completely to be like Belle. You can still emulate her without changing yourself.
- You don'thaveto be like Belle if you don't want to. Try learning from Belle her instead. For example, you can learn to be more accepting.
- Try knowing a few French words. You don't need to be fluent, but knowing a few words is helpful.
Video: Emma Watson's Belle Makeup & Hair Tutorial Beauty & The Beast
A Comprehensive Guide to Hollywood’s Most NotoriousStoners
Shadow Hair is The New Low-Maintenance Trend to Try
How to Tell if Your Dog Is in Heat
How to Make Your Butt Bigger and More Appealing
Sugar: You’re Secretly Eating a Ton of It at Lunch (Heres Where Its Hiding)
Fur and flowers in Fendi collection Fall-Winter 2014-2015
The threshold for how much you should spend on wine is lower than youd think
15 Amazing Secrets of Shopping Whole Foods
The New Link Between Going Gluten-Free And Heart Disease
How to Avoid Misunderstandings Concerning the Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Tests
Winona Ryder is The New Face of Marc Jacobs Beauty
The Ultimate List of Kitchen Tools for Healthy Cooking
How to Maintain Humidity in a Pet Hermit Crab Habitat
Here’s What Working in the Marijuana Industry Is ReallyLike